Most of us have unwanted hair. It’s a normal part of life. And there are many options for getting it removed. Weighing which option to go for isn’t necessarily about which one is better, but which one is right for you.
To understand what choice you should make, it’s important to learn how each option works so you can weigh the pros and cons armed with the best knowledge.
The Basics of Body Waxing
Body waxing is very simple. The process includes body wax, an applicator, and a fabric strip. With these tools, you can remove hair from virtually anywhere on your body.
Your esthetician applies the wax to the skin and in the direction of the hair growth. A strip of fabric is applied on top and smoothed out onto the skin in the same direction of the hair growth. Then, the strip is removed in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
If done correctly, waxing pulls the hair from the follicle. You then have smooth skin, with the hair follicle still intact.
Body Waxing Pros
- Waxing is generally much less expensive than laser hair removal for a single session.
- Waxing works for all hair types, skin tones, and skin types. Waxing is a viable option for those who are not good candidates for laser hair removal.
- You can wax at home, unlike laser removal. Experts recommend having a professional do it, but plenty of home kits can be useful.
- Waxing removes hair instantly.
Body Waxing Cons
- One thing anyone who has ever gotten a wax knows is that it can be painful. Sensitive areas, such as the bikini line, can be particularly painful. A skilled esthetician mitigates this with technique and the right products.
- If you desire to have smooth, hair-free skin at all times, then waxing might not be the best option. Ideally, at least a quarter-inch of hair is needed for the wax to be able to grip the hair, so there will be weeks between where you have some regrowth.
- Waxing requires appointments every few weeks.
- Those with sensitive skin may experience irritation. Talk to your esthetician about your skin before waxing.
- When done at home, waxing is limited. It’s hard to wax your back or your bikini area on your own, which is another important reason why seeing a professional is advised.
The Basics of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal includes the use of a high-powered laser that targets the root of the hair. The laser destroys the follicle, and the hair cannot grow back for some time.
The process begins by cooling the skin. A professional laser technician then applies the laser to the skin in the desired hair removal area. The process requires several treatments. The results last for a few months, typically. Sometimes touch-ups are needed.
Laser Hair Removal Pros
- For long-term results, laser hair removal is a good option. Some people experience permanent results. Others have results for months or even years.
- Sessions only last for minutes at a time, typically.
- Laser hair removal is safe and effective.
- Laser hair removal has the flexibility of being performed on any part of the body.
Laser Hair Removal Cons
- Not everyone is a good candidate for laser hair removal. It’s most useful for people with light skin and dark hair. Otherwise, you should consult a laser technician about your options.
- Laser hair removal has a far more significant upfront expense than waxing.
- Laser hair removal is a process and requires a particular stage of growth to destroy the hair follicle. Multiple treatments are necessary for this reason. Instant results do not come from laser hair removal like they do with waxing.
The Best Option
This is an area of much contention. While laser hair removal offers longer term results, it is not as effective for all pigmentations and hair types. Likewise, while both services provide similar results in the short term, they have greatly differing costs in that same time frame.
While laser hair removal is becoming increasingly popular, waxing is still the primary choice for most people because of its ease of access, affordability, and convenience.
Come See Us
That smooth skin you’ve been wanting for so long is just a simple appointment away with Dulce Lash and Skin.
From basic skin care and elegant, beautiful lashes to MedSpa procedures and gentle body waxing, Dulce Lash and Skin keeps your skin glowing from head to toe. With three convenient locations in Seattle, Bellevue, and Mercer Island and a full bevvy of skincare services, our highly skilled master aestheticians will guide you through a personalized plan to address all your skincare needs. Drop us a line for more information or to call and book your appointment today!